Lecture 3 - Training Deep Neural Networks on a GPU

Livestream Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9suSsTVhYuw

Lecture Timing: June 6 (Sat), 8.30 AM PST/9:00 PM IST

Notebooks:

Additional Resources

What to do after the lecture?

Asking/Answering Questions :
Reply on this thread to ask questions during and after the lecture. Before asking, scroll through the thread and check if your question (or a similar one) is already present. If yes, just like it. During the lecture, we’ll answer 8-10 questions with the most likes. The rest will be answered on the forum. If you see a question you know the answer to, please post your answer as a reply to that question. Let’s help each other learn!

Attendance : NO NEED to mark attendance, we have removed the attendance requirement for the certificate!

Featured Notebooks/Blogs from the second assignment written by the course participants:

10 Likes

Welcome everyone :smile: Tag me to shoot any questions to be answered live. Incase if its not answered live, we’ll try answer them here on the forums later on.

4 Likes

my first assignment hasn’t been evaluated yet. Is there something wrong? Should I re-submit?

2 Likes

There is also 10 hour video, is that the same ?

+1 Do we get any response for the acceptance of the assignments? @PrajwalPrashanth @aakashns

i think they mail you. the mail after submission is automated though

@s-bose @ishanroy We are wrapping up the assignment - 1 submissions. We’ll send out a bulk response to them tomorrow.

3 Likes

Its of similar content.

Thanks! @aakashns Just mentioned that in the live.

another unrelated question, this ones from the last class.

Is the mse_loss usually this slow to converge? I trained 25000 epochs with 1e-4 lr and ended up with a moderate loss, the loss value was still huge, 8 digits long. Is that usual for others as well?

l1_loss seems to converge better. Which one should I use and why?

@aakashns kaggle is having problems importing or installing jovian

1 Like

@PrajwalPrashanth can we get links for the examples akash is showing in the video?

1 Like

@PrajwalPrashanth @aakashns Could you share the links of the blog posts being shown in the live.

2 Likes

You can’t compare MSE and L1 loss on the same scale.
Square root of MSE will be in the comparable range.

can you do this and give me the stack trace, im not able to recreate this.

pip install jovian --upgrade -v

@kunal_gohrani @ishanroy Sure we’ll do that. Probably we’ll update this in the description.

1 Like

Can you please share all those links here @aakashns.

1 Like

Heres my notebook for the 2nd assignment, and here is the error on !pip install jovian --upgrade --quiet

WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f162b78cd10>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution')': /simple/jovian/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=3, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f162b75fc90>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution')': /simple/jovian/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f162b75fb50>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution')': /simple/jovian/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f162b75f810>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution')': /simple/jovian/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f162b75f650>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution')': /simple/jovian/

also this

ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement jovian (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for jovian