Lecture 1 - Introduction to Programming with Python

Lecture Date: August 15, 2020

In this lecture, we cover the basics of Python & Jupyter notebooks, and explore topics like variables, data types, conditional statements, loops and more. We also explore the course curriculum, community forum, assignment submission & evaluation process, system setup etc. to help you get the most out of this course.

Resources

Asking Questions

Please use this thread for asking questions during the lecture. Upvote questions by pressing the “Like” (heart) button. We will answer 5-10 highest upvoted questions during the lecture, and the rest will be answered by the community and course team after the lecture. If you see a question you know the answer to, please add an answer to help others.

51 Likes

Who is here? Give me a like

467 Likes

Hello! can I use VS code?

13 Likes

Hi! This is Sourav. Thank you.

2 Likes

Good morning sir, Can we do column wise operation in list in python?

10 Likes

@aakashns Will we have any issue in the course if we use google colab?

4 Likes

You can use any ide… Just you show to be able to run the code and have fun

error in loading binder.

4 Likes

No, there will be no issue. you can use Kaggle, Google Colab, Binder, or your local machine, anything you want, or are comfortable with is fine to go with.

1 Like

Hello leader. I have to use only one notebook or all of them?

1 Like

Yeah as it is limited free space, you can run files on Kaggle or Google Colab if you want to follow along, let me know if you face some problem in that. But once lecture is complete the traffic will reduce, so then you can use Binder easily.

Hi Apurbo, notebooks are for learning purpose, if you are new to the Python world you can go through all of the notebooks, else you can just see the parts and move on to assignment part.

1 Like

hello everyone good morning

2 Likes

i already have anaconda-jupyter installed in my lp. but plz let me know how to open first-steps-with-python.ipynb file in that??

2 Likes

Hi Vinay, go to the link of the file you want to run locally, then select files and after that you will see the file with .ipynb, when you will select that you will see the download option.

5 Likes

Do let me know if you still face problem.

We have download option on the notebook page itself.

If you want to replicate the conda environment with all the required dependencies you can look into clone option https://jovian.ml/docs/user-guide/reproduce.html

5 Likes

done sir, thanks for timely suggestion

3 Likes

@aakashns can we execute on google colab and store notebook on jovian ? using jovian.commit which was taught in course

3 Likes