Student (Fixed Term)
BlackBerry Cylance is seeking grad students in machine learning, stats, and related fields to intern with our Data Science Research team for summer 2020.
At BlackBerry Cylance, we develop state-of-the-art machine learning techniques to solve long-standing problems in computer security. We discover novel ML techniques and applications, build systems to handle petabytes of ludicrously high dimensional data, and protect people from bad guys.
With machine learning at the heart of BlackBerry Cylance’s products, the Data Science team is a critical, highly visible, and high-impact team within the company. The team brings together experts from machine learning, stats, computer science, computer security, and various applied sciences, with backgrounds including deep learning, Bayesian statistics, time-series modeling, topology, scalable data processing, and software engineering.
Prior experience in security is a plus, but not necessary; the right candidate will be able to gain domain expertise during the internship, surrounded by some of the computer security industry’s leading minds.
At BlackBerry Cylance, we protect millions of computers from security threats, and as an intern here, you’ll do real, meaningful research. Previous interns have seen their work directly impact our products, have published papers based on their research at BlackBerry Cylance, or have been inventor on a patent application related to their work.
Location: Irvine, CA
- Applying, improving, and inventing machine learning techniques to solve important problems in computer security.
- Writing maintainable, readable code for running experiments and proofs-of-concept.
- Working with very large, high-dimensional data sets.
- Collaborating closely with other data scientists, as well as security experts.
Skills And Qualifications
- Current PhD and master’s students studying machine learning, statistics, or related fields. PhD students are strongly preferred.
- Strong math skills in general, especially linear algebra and statistics.
- Experience with python.
- Excellent communication skills. You can clearly convey your ideas to others in speech and in writing.
- Kindness, and a deep willingness to help and collaborate with others.
- Industry experience is a plus.
- Python, and libraries like sklearn, numpy, scipy, pytorch, and tensorflow.
- Various other languages, including Scala, C/C++, C#, Java, and x86 assembly.
- Various AWS services, like EC2 and S3.
LIFE AT BLACKBERRY
- Various Snack & Beverage Programs at all locations
- Free parking and accessible public transportation at major offices
- Skills training and professional development opportunities
- Organization wide events and various social committees
- Local discounts and free swag
- Highly collaborative teams and supportive workplace culture
- Recreational leagues, fitness classes, and wellness sessions available in most locations
(This link will take you to the official page of Blackberry where you would need to register first then the main content of this job with final apply link will open)